Monday, September 7, 2009

I was thinking about doing a post tonight..guess it's been 2 weeks...and then an email came from Emily asking if we were OK. Yes, we're fine. Sometimes the business of life gets in the way! Since I'm not a writer it takes more effort than I think I have late at night. Don't ask why it has to be close to midnight before a post can be done. My brain would probably be more alert if I wrote earlier in the evening. A bad habit I guess.

Tam asked me to make a baby quilt for a friend of hers. Today she brought over a piece of flannel for the backing. I just love the flannel and think it will go so well with the yellow and green in the quilt.

LWR Quilting started last Tuesday. There were 8 of us so we got a lot of work done. I had tops ready for quilting, Violet ironed all day, Pam sewed a couple tops and I did bindings. Pam brought a sewn top that her sister in N.C. had sewn for us. How's that for being a nice twin sister? Actually Pam gave her the squares when she visited. It was fun being together again. Instead of meeting tomorrow most of us are going to a funeral. Our Pastor's wife's sister was killed in a motorcycle accident. Last summer a good friend from our church was also killed in a motorcycle accident. Guess there are more people riding cycles now and unfortunately there seem to be so many fatalities. We have quite a few members at our church that are riders and I sure do worry about them These aren't kids....most are in their 50's.

This little moth visited us today. A spot on the screen door to the deck was his birthing room. We hadn't noticed the cocoon until we saw the moth on the inside of the screen last night. He (or she!) was in the same spot this morning. I slid something under it to try to move it to the outside. It almost seemed dead. When I put it in the sun it immediately started to flutter its wings. Good thing the camera was close because it only took about 30 seconds of fluttering before it was able to fly. If you enlarge the photo you can see how furry it is....really weird looking. I think it is a Large Tolype.



Last week the Bible Study group had lunch at one of our members house overlooking Lake MI. It was a beautiful day. Another member lives on the lake and every time we are at her house it is so foggy the lake can't be seen or it is too windy to be outside or it is too cold. We were in luck last week.

Last year Ellie bought 2 of the quilts we made. She thought they would be great in the small room where her granddaughters sleep when they visit. There were a few scraps left and she found some other fabric to match and made pillow covers. She rolls one quilt up like a bolster. It looked so cute in the room.


Last week I read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. It describes what was going on during the time of the Salem witch trials. For the most part I liked it very much. This week I'm reading an Anita Shreve book...quite a change of pace!!
This week end is the Open House at our new church building. Big activities on Saturday and then the dedication on Sunday. It is so exciting! At the very beginning we were called a Worshiping Community and then we moved to Lutheran Mission status and then to a real congregation!! The first meetings were held here in our basement and the office was here a couple years. We met in a public school for worship a number of years and then at a Catholic school. Each place worked very well for the stage we were in but now it will be wonderful to have a place we can call our own. What a blessing.
Today I made the first batch of cookies for this weekend and they are in the freezer. Also made cookies for the funeral tomorrow.
Well, here it is after midnight again!!!



4 comments:

Phil and Linda said...

Wow, how lucky your friend is to live on the lake! Her view is beautiful!

Tanya said...

You've had a busy two weeks!

I like how your friend has rolled up that quilt into a bolster. Hey I have enough quilts that I should be able to do that too!

Looking forward to your progress on the baby quilt.

Rhonda said...

I wondered what you were up to. Life does seem to happen and everything gets backed up. Loved all the pics. Have a great weekend with the dedication and all.

La Familia Lopez Robinson said...

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you have a fun weekend coming up. See you soon, Em