Monday, May 31, 2010

I LOVE Milwaukee...part 2

Until this past weekend Milwaukee was just a city to get through on our way to Minnesota. We'd take the Lake Express ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee, drive off the ferry and head to MN. We always got out of the city fine but had a hard time finding the ferry on our way home. Seem like there was always construction. If instructions said to go "up over", "turn", or "under the highway" there was a barricade. The first time we stopped 7 times to ask for directions. The people kind of knew that the ferry docked just a couple miles away but had no idea how to get there. So...that is what I knew about Milwaukee...just some place to get out of. My opinion has changed!!

This is Janet, Anne and Mary Jane at Molly Cool's on Friday. Anne was a wonderful tour guide and it was so much fun to do the touristy stuff with her. Thanks so much Anne for all the driving.
Anne picked us up before 10 Saturday morning and we went to the marvelous Milwaukee Art Museum. Those wings open and close a couple times a day.
This is the view from the inside looking up.
Looking out the windows onto Lake MI.
Looking down the looong corridor to what I suppose is the older part. That is where we saw the Winterthur Collection of American quilts from the 1700 to 1800's. I'm always amazed at the beautiful work accomplished without the benefit of trifocals and Ott lights! My favorites were the whole cloth quilts and some smaller ones with heavy embroidery. Many pieced quilts were made of silk. Sorry-no photos allowed.
Then a stroll through several galleries on our way to view the "Woman with Veil" by Raphael. Beautiful. There were many people viewing the painting so it was hard to get too close.

A stop at the gift shop is always a must but not even a post card did I buy. I keep reminding myself that we're downsizing here. The gift shop by the quilt display had many beautiful quilting books but I kept the "downsizing" thought in my brain. I did see some "imported quilts at a very low price. It reminded me of the controversy some years ago about the Metropolitan Art Museum selling cheaply made quilts from China.

A quick stop for tea before we drove a short distance to the Children's Discovery center. A 3 masted schooner arrived at noon. The sails were down by time we saw it.

Anne's husband met us for a late lunch-early dinner at Mader's, a German restaurant. The dinner salad was huge and delicious with hot bacon dressing.
This was my sauerbraten. Again, delicious, but such a large portion that I couldn't eat it all
A huge chair everyone is supposed to try out. Felt like Lily Tomlin!!
The Mader.
After eating we went next door to a spice shop. Here I opened my purse. Downsizing doesn't affect eatables does it? Then on to the sausage shop. Think we were all too full of German food to even consider buying sausage. Then to the cheese shop where we weakened. Anne offered to keep any purchases in her refrigerator over night. Of course we needed to buy squeaky cheese, caraway cheese and garlic dill cheese. Then on to other shops. Mary Jane saw a large beautiful bowl that she was seriously considering buying. I thought she was just kidding...well no she wasn't. I spoiled her fun by pointing out some extra zero's she hadn't noticed!!!


The hotel had a nice area out side for sitting. We spent time there visiting with Anne, had pizza Saturday evening and breakfast Sunday morning. Anne picked us up and brought us back to the ferry. She had all the cheese we bought. She had been so worried that she'd forget it.

The wind was too strong on the trip home to spend time up on top of the ferry but inside the ride was smooth.

Almost to shore!!
What a wonderful trip we had. MJ has taken her mom and I out for a Mother's Day lunch for quite a few years. She certainly outdid herself this year!! Thanks so much.

6 comments:

Phil and Linda said...

What a wonderful fun trip! You guys "all" looked like the Golden Girls! The over 50 group! I love dates out with the girls, they are always sooo much fun. Lovely memories to hang on to. love ya mom!

Rhonda said...

Hi "G"! I was getting worried since your hadn't blogged in awhile but I see you've been busy having fun. What a wonderful post. I love looking at places I may never get to see. Your writings of what went on almost made me believe that I was right there with you.

Needled Mom said...

Wow! That looks awesome. My grandparents live in Milwaukee and we used to visit there all the time, but I never saw that awesome museum. It is spectacular!

Has Maders been there for a long time? I think I remember eating there. Milwaukee's German restaurants are so incredible. I think I need to go back again.

GreggR said...

Did the sauerbraten come with a potato dumpling to?
Can't wait to use the herbs and spices MJ brought home.

Shelina said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip. That is a pretty, interesting building. Those spices look exactly like the stuff I would buy. Yum.

Rhonda said...

G'...thank you so much for the link to Channel Islands. I have given you credit for it on my latest post and linked to the webcam. I just love looking at the regal birds!