Sunday, June 6, 2010

I've given up trying Sashiko quilting!

Almost 2 years ago I pieced a top like this for a friend. Since most of the fabric was a Japanese style I thought I'd quilt the black with Sashiko quilting. Bad idea. I didn't do any research...just jumped in. What a struggle! I used too heavy floss and it was so hard to pull through the fabric. My hand would cramp up after a few minutes. Finally last month I really looked at it and thought,"I don't like this at all". Thank goodness there was still plenty of fabric in my stash so this is the second one. There is just a simple machine quilting. Hope Deb will like it.The backing is pieced with various Japanese style fabrics.

This is the Sashiko. See how it overwhelms the beautiful delicate fabric
This is what I'm working on this week.
Anja was in a dance recital yesterday. We went thinking it was just a couple dozen little girls in their tutu's. When we drove into the parking lot at the high school the lot was full. The auditorium was packed. Wow. It was a "big" recital, little ones aged 2 up to adults!! The program was 1 1/2 hours and was very nice. This is Anja and her daddy.
I had trouble with "blogger" last night. This was finally posted and then part was left out. Never had blogger problems before. Whenever there have been problems it has always been of my making!!!

Back to sewing...1/5 sewed!

2 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I have been thinking about giving sashiko a try and have been reading a bit about it. It really is such a beautiful way to display the stitches and the lovely Asian fabrics, but I can understand what you are saying. Your newest project looks like quite an undertaking. It will be gorgeous when done.

Anja looks so thrilled. I'll bet she was a beautiful dancer. I just love watching the little ones perform.

Rhonda said...

Hi Lady! I was having trouble with blogger as well.....made me panic...LOL...I know what you mean about that type of quilting....it is large.