Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Frederik Meijer Gardens

Last Thursday 2 friends and I went to Grand Rapids for an event at the Frederik Meijer Gardens. For those of you from other states the Gardens are a "must see" if you ever get to the western part of MI. There are acres and acres of trails through wetlands, woodlands, shade gardens and theme gardens. There are 70 bronze sculptures scattered throughout the grounds and buildings. The 27 foot horse using Leonardo da Vinci's design is so majestic...you can walk under it. We only had time to go through the tropical conservatory before our event but enjoyed the orchids. There is a wonderful display of orchids in the spring. Here are some of the ones that were blooming now.










The event we were attending was to raise money to create gardens in the memory care unit at Maple Creek...a 5 tier senior living...run by Lutheran Social Services of MI.
It was fitting that we were meeting at a garden to raise money for a garden and then had a real master gardener as a speaker. Peter Hatch is the director of all the gardens and grounds for the Thomas Jefferson Foundation. That is the 2,400 acres of Monticello. He was very interesting and had a slide show along with his presentation.
There was a reception before the program and dessert after....wine, cheeses, veggies and crackers and then lots of gooey caramel and chocolate bars. Don't you think that was a good meal??!!

5 comments:

Phil and Linda said...

The colors in the flowers are gorgeous! I do think though that I have seen some even prettier flowers at your house. I could be biased though!

Mama Spark said...

OMG, maybe I already said this but I guess I didn't realize you were in GR! That's where I grew up and my dad still lives there? Where are you in GR? We should get together sometime when I am visiting my dad (and now DD, who is living with him).

Val said...

Oh my goodness. I just love your pictures. I bet that was a lot of fun. I have to tell you again that I just love your blog.

GreggR said...

Wine,,,,,,you weren't driving were you?
Great post.

Needled Mom said...

What an incredible place to visit. Those were great pictures.

I like that idea for dinner - fits for me.