Thursday, April 16, 2009

Frederik Meijer Gardens

Had a fun day today. Went to Grand Rapids to the Frederic Meijer Gardens. We mainly went to the Butterfly Display in the Tropical Conservatory. The sun was shining so the butterflies were flying. I was a bit disappointed because there wasn't a great variety of butterflies this year. Love to see the blue Common Morpho but didn't see any. I didn't get good photos of the butterflies either. My finger on the camera was always just a fraction of a second too late to get a picture with the wings spread out. Love to see the beautiful orchids and other flowers too.
Here are my friends cozying up to Frederic and Lena Meijer.








Leonardo Davinci's Horse is a big attraction at the gardens. It is a 24 foot bronze horse, the largest horse sculpture in the Western henisphere. It is one of only two of its kind in the world. The other one is in Milan, Italy. Leonardo da Vinci was commissioned to create the largest horse sculpture 500 years ago. His clay model was used by invading French troops for crossbow practice!!! And that ended the horse until some major supporters commissioned sculptor Nina Akamu to create the two horses for Grand Rapids and Milan.










These next photos were all taken in the conservatory.










There are garden trails, many different styles of gardens, sculptures throughout the park, an amphitheater, an indoor museum, restaurant and on and on. If anyone is ever traveling through Grand Rapids be sure to allow time for a visit. You won't be sorry.
Hmmm, do you suppose the Gardens would hire me to promote the place?!!!

4 comments:

Mama Spark said...

It really is a beautiful place isn't it? Thanks for sharing the pics. How did you get them to be next to each other? I keep trying to do that with pictures but can't figure out how to do it.

Val said...

Wow this is a gorgeous place. I loved seeing all the pictures. And I love your new sewing machine too!

Shelley said...

Looks like a beautiful place to visit! Enjoyed your photos! (I'm from Michigan too!)

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip to the Gardens, G'G'ma! I can't believe that horse, it's HUGE! You got some beautiful shots of the flowers. hanks for sharing!
Please stop by and sign in to my friends connection!