Sunday, December 20, 2009

How many flushes can I get out of 2 5-gal. buckets of snow?

Some days sure don't turn out how they were planned. Jerry didn't feel well yesterday and still felt bad this morning so we decided not to go to church. Right after we decided that, Gregg called and said he would come to town and he and I could do the finishing shopping for our Smorgasbord. Later I went down to the furnace room to get something and saw all the water. Our water heater had sprung a leak and there was water all over. It had gone under the wall to the game room. Remember the carpet tile I laid last summer...it sure is getting a test....had to pull up 20 tiles. They are drying well so could get an A+ on the test. The trip here sure wasn't what Gregg expected. He took over. To top things off the shut-off valve is frozen at "open" so we can't have any water on in the house. We went to Lowe's and bought a new water heater. Does anyone ever buy a heater without it being an emergency? We brought it home and hopefully we can be on the schedule for installation tomorrow. Sorry this pic got sideways.
Now to my original question. I shoveled and packed hard 2 5-gal. buckets with snow. Then I melted one bucket of snow and poured into the other. This is all the water there is, slightly more than half a bucket. I'm hoping for 2 flushes!!!!! But, as you can see the water has to be strained even after the leaves have been picked out. When you think the snow looks so clean and white....think again and don't let the kids eat it.

After my venting I know this is minor compared to what so many people are going through tonight. We have a warm house, a full refrigerator and freezer.....and some paper plates to eat our supper on. Life is good!


3 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Oh my gosh!!!!! Isn't it nice to be able to count your blessings in the midst of such a crisis.

NO!!! Seldom does one buy a water heater unless it is an emergency. We replaced ours last year with one of the tankless ones and I absolutely love it. No more burst water heaters here. I have had to clean up too many times. Once is even too many.

Hope you get up and running in hot water soon and I hope that this Christmas week will become more relaxing for you.

La Familia Lopez Robinson said...

Of all the appliances to go out, at least it wasn't the power! But still a huge hassle!! Can I help with anything?

Val said...

Oh I feel for you. I remember one Christmas that we were having a house built and staying in my MIL trailer. All the pipes froze under the trailer. It was horrible. Then when they thawed it burst. It was a mess. I was never so happy to get into my brand new house! Good luck.