Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tea bags and Kringlor recipe.

I got the idea for these tea bags from handmadebyheidi.blogspot.net. Her mother was crocheting bags so she helped her. Today was the Bible Study potluck and I wanted to bring something along with the food. Made 30 last night. There is a mint tea bag in each. The verse is kind of neat.

On Christmas Day at half past three brew yourself a cup of tea.
I'll think of you and you think of me while sitting near the Christmas Tree.

Most of the gals said they were going to hang theirs on the tree so chose the color accordingly.

Have a request for the Kringlor aka Kringle, Kringler or Danish Puff recipe.

Part I 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup flour, 1 tbs water

Part II 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup water, 1 cup flour, 3 eggs, 1 tsp almond extract

Part III 1 cup pd. sugar, 1 tbs soft butter, 1/2 tsp almond extract


Part I mix butter, flour and water. Pat out on a cookie sheet in 2 strips, 3 to 4 in. wide and the length of the pan. Set aside.

Part II In a saucepan heat the water and butter to boiling point. Remove and add flour all at once and stir until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Add almond extract. Spread over the crust to the edges. Bake 400º for about 45 min.

Part III Mix and spread on pastry.

Best served right away, but can be stored tightly covered. If freezing, frost after thawing.

These are Swedish diagonals with Lingonberries or raspberry jam works well too.
This is a before pic.......forgot to take an after. It is 5 lbs. of beef and pork for Köttbullar...Swedish meatballs.

This is the finished Sylta....jellied meat. It is made using veal, pork, lots of allspice, some bay leaves and a bit of gelatin. My Mother used to make head cheese when Dad butchered a pig. All parts of the pig were used!!! The heart, liver and tongue were used also....cooked with spices, tomato, and vinegar and sliced cold. Does that sound yummy???!!! It's like so many foods, if you grow up with it, you like it.
Well, so far I've gotten 2 Christmas cards back "not deliverable". So handy to go to whitepages.com and get the new addresses...guess they moved! It is kind of scary though to see how easy it is to find some one's address, phone number, age, spouses name etc. Good grief, if a person paid a few dollars they can even find out if the person has a criminal record.



6 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I love the cute poem on the tea bags. That was such a good idea.

Thanks for posting the recipe. I have written it down and will have to give it a try. It sounds so good.

Actually, the jellied meat sounds great. Of course we grew up on it as well. We loved crazy things like pickled pigs feet and pickled herring. Try to get kids to eat that nowadays!!!!!

Phil and Linda said...

What happened to 20-21 bags! Did you get a bit carried away. They turned out real nice and I'm sure that the ladies really enjoyed the thoughtful, unexpected gift!

I will totally agree that the Danish coffee cake can be frozen. I would even say that I have frosted it first and then pre-sliced before freezing. That way, for a quick bedtime treat pull out 1 slice and stick in the microwave on defrost for it to soften. Wallah!!!! Yummy!

love ya

Heidi said...

I love that you were able to use the tea bag idea! And they are so cute!

My Dad would love the jellied meat. I might have to make that for him someday. Thanks for the recipes!

Val said...

I love the tea bags! I want to try that recipe. All looks good. But the most important reason I am popping in is to ask my friends to say a prayer for the wedding tomorrow. Rain and snow are in the forecast.

Rhonda said...

The poem is great...I had heard it a long time ago but had forgotten. I see you've been very busy preparing some wonderful looking foods.
Take care.

Tanya said...

Thank you!!! That sounds delicious! and not too difficult...