ex-cel-si-or, n. slender, curved wood shavings used especially for packing
I can't remember seeing anything packed in excelsior for years. Today it is mostly formed foam or pellets of some kind. Excelsior was used for many crafts years ago such as these birds nests. I can't remember if I used thinned out Elmer's glue or thin wallpaper paste. Form a birds nest, let it dry, spray gold paint and wa-la a nest for the tree. It was always a special treat if a real nest was found in a tree that was brought home. Good luck, I guess. That bird has lost most of it's tail feathers I see.
In the 60's I made these Chrismons (Christ Monograms). We were living in Pittsburgh then and a group at church made large beautiful ones for the church tree. I made smaller Chrismons at home to go on our tree. They are still hangin' around. Each year there needs to be some repair work done!
Sorry this photo got on it's side. The acorns are from my home when I was a child and the other glass ornaments are from Jerry's home.....probably in the 30's. The things at the bottom are candle clips to clip the candles onto a tree branch. Jerry vaguely remembers them being lit. That candle wax that is still on the clip is mighty old!!
We always have many Swedish straw ornaments on trees. One year I made quite a few.
When we lived in PA we used to go for some day trips on weekends and found a shop in Meadsvile (I think) that had many Scandinavian decorations and foods. We purchased our first straw ornaments there. After over 45 years there are still some oat kernels attached.
Today is my birthday!!! Yesterday Gregg and his family were all here and we had such a great time. They all did some "jobs" here and then they took us to a Thai restaurant for lunch. Marcos was happy to get his lemonade. That is not a new kind of straw. I had a few of those chili pepper ornaments that fit over a light bulb on the tree. He thought it was neat because it fit over his finger and then it fit over the straw...more fun...but sad to say no drinking was possible.




4 comments:
What wonderful things that bring back great memories each year.
Take care.
I have a bird in a nest like that from my grandpa's house. It is glued to a clothespin so it can be clipped on the tree.
I loved seeing all of your pretty ornaments. Aren't they fun?
Happy birthday to you! It looks like it was properly celebrated. I hope the upcoming year will be filled with happiness and blessings for you.
That snow looks sooo cold! Less than two weeks now you'll be in much warmer weather! It was supposed to be 73 degrees today. Not promising you the same temps but definitely "no snow"! Looking forward to your trip. love ya, mom
Post a Comment