No, didn't finish a quilt...sorry to say! I started to read World Without End last week and have been grabbing any time I could to read. I really enjoyed Pillars of the Earth and figured I'd like this one too and I did. It takes place in 14th century England. I like loonng books and this was long, 929 pages. There isn't much empty space on the pages either. At 1:24 a.m. I had about 100 pages left and wanted so badly to keep going but knew today would be a busy day so reluctantly turned out the light. The minute I got home this afternoon the book called to me louder than the last load in the washer and dryer!!

I've mentioned Peggy before, a friend who had a leg amputated last year and a few of her friends visit her every Monday afternoon. It's her birthday so we decided to bring in her favorite lunch of Chinese take-out. We went to Panda Express and found the door locked...they are closed on Monday. Hmm, change in plans. We ended up at a locally owned Chinese place and got 4 different kinds of main dish, fried rice, egg rolls, crab rangoons and sauces for 9 of us and had loads of food left over. It only cost each of us $4.50, except the birthday girl. There was lots of talk and laughter. Before we left we spent about 20 minutes singing hymns. Peggy used to belong to our Bible Study group but can't get out anymore so really enjoyed that. Her "Comfort Keeper" joined us.
After our visit we always head to Starbucks. After such a big lunch I ordered a "light" mocha chip frap. Such a disappointment. Guess if I'm going to have one it will be real and not a watered down variety.
A friend is giving away many of her things. She kind of decides who would like what and then tells us to come to her condo. She has given away so many dishes and I have some bowls etc. Last week she was getting rid of her birdhouse collection so called Terry and I over. This is what she chose for me. I love it. It is meant to be used outside because the roof is hinged so it can be cleaned out. Think I'll spray it with something so it will withstand the weather a bit.

This is my cardinal wall hanging that was made quite a few years ago. Did the quilting by hand. There have been so many cardinals at the feeder lately so suppose they are this years babies all grown up.

This is a kit from Connecting Threads. I really like the colors and am anxious to make it. Everything I've ordered from Threads has been what I thought it would be. Sometimes we can be fooled by the pictures..did that ever happen to you?!

This is the first wall hanging I ever made. All the fabric in the hearts is from something I had sewn about that time (20 years ago). It is interesting to see how some fabrics really fade and others don't.

Last Wednesday 13 women from the Bible Study had lunch downtown. At one point the waitress came and said that all of our lunches were being paid for. 13 of us!!! Hey, we're not young chicks either (age 54 to 89). That's not something that has ever happened before. We're still trying to figure out who to thank. All we know is that the person called and gave a credit card number. It must have been a relative or friend of one of us who knew we were at that particular restaurant. It sure feels strange not to have someone to thank.
9 comments:
I love books that keep calling us back to finish them. I also hate it when I get near the end and know the joy will soon be over.
It sounds like your friend has some pretty good friends herself. The shut ins always appreciate the visits, don't they?
A free lunch? How sweet of someone to do that. I am sure everyone must be curious about who did it. I love the idea.
Your cardinal quilt is so pretty. I wish we had cardinals in our area as they are so lovely.
Like you, I have always been pleased with Connecting Threads products. I can't wait to see your kit made up. The colors are great.
What a lovely thing to have someone do! But that is a big group to pay for lunch!
I have some older quilts and yes it is interesting to see how some fabric fades and disintegrates while others stay vibrant!
Sounds like you've been having fun lately!
I love that wall hanging of hearts. I can see a purply plaid from my first day of kindergarten dress that you made for me. Must have been about 25 years ago!
You have been a very busy woman. Your free lunch was just a blessing for all the good that you do. I love seeing all of your goodies.
Oh, how interesting! I read half of Pillars of the Earth and got too busy to finish. Ken really pulls you into the story. The bad guy in Pillars was so EVIL that half of me doesn't want to read it and the other half want to finish the story so I can see him get his due!
Fun to read your blog although I'm not a quilter. I have a question about your blog last Christmas about Ostkaka. We went to Sweden and got a recipe but with rennet (and of course it was from dairy farmers who have raw milk!) I want to make the cottage cheese version (I can't even find rennet!) but I don't understand about straining the cottage cheese. Do you use both the creamed remains and the curds or just the curds? The recipe doesn't say. I'm guessing the recipe is close enough to the original if you use it. And you can freeze it, too? Great! Thanks so much. Please email me at q8emom AT yahoo.com.
What a wonderful friend you are. So often we tend to forget the one who can't get out of their homes. To bring a little sunshine into their lives is truly a blessing. Take care.
Post a Comment