The Lucia Buns are fresh out of the oven so come and join me for a cup of coffee..Swedish coffee, of course! Since we have no little (or big) girls living with us to serve us goodies and coffee tomorrow morning we'll have to take care of that our selves. Jerry and I will turn on the tree lights, put a Perry Como CD on and probably reminisce about Christmas's past. When we bought our first "stereo" we had one record, Season's Greeting from Perry Como with the Ray Charles Singers. We played that every year as we decorated the tree, Dec.13th for Lucia Day, Christmas Eve and all between. All the kids knew which song "came next". From the record we updated to a tape and some years ago were delighted to find it on CD. Can you believe that....from 1959!! Our girls used to be Lucia and serve the coffee and buns. We had a straw crown at first and then found a crown that had battery candles. I was a Lucia in college and wore a crown with lit candles...a bit scary! The little table cloth is from Sweden in the 40's. The candle holder was sent to my folks in 1949 from friends who lived in St. Paul. It came from a florist. What excitement. We had never gotten anything from a florist before. There was a mixture of live greens and a few flowers I think. I haven't wanted to plough through the snow to cut any greens yet but will do so before Christmas Eve.

Well, after reading all that you are ready for more goodies. I made 3 more kinds to add to my growing stash in the cold garage. The large cookie is just a peanut butter cookie with melted chocolate chips, Ghirardelli of course! The others are Shortbread and Tiger Butter.

Yesterday Jerry and I were out looking for a chair for him. Because of his bulging disks in his back and his rotator cuff stripped he can't get out of any of our chairs except the straight chairs at the table. The Eames lounge, the rocker, sofas and everything are just too low. Well, we were checking out recliners but they are too low also. Next we went to lift chairs. Does anyone out there in blog land know anyone who uses one? The most expensive one had the features that we really liked. The foot rest can be raised without the back being reclined. Also it can recline way back so the legs are raised above the heart. That seemed like a good feature. We don't know anyone who has a lift...other than the salesman who said his father has one and I don't know if that counts!! I'd love some feedback.
5 comments:
Real candles in your crown~~YIKES!
My momma used a lift chair following her stroke. She wore two out. The first one was a Lazy Boy. The second one (don't remember the brand) was purchased through a medical supply company for twice the cost. Both were very nice, both served the purpose but the Lazy Boy was by far more comfortable to her.
Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com
info@pamgwillim.com
Glad Lucia Dag till er!
Maya didn't put on her Lucia dress or her candles...after picking up my parents at the Copenhagen Airport then to a Kalas (b-day party) she was pooped! Next year...we did watch the official Lucia in Stockholm sing this morning on the TV before going to the airport!
I love that table cloth! I've been collecting old "tourist" table linens at the Loppis here..I'm going to look for a Lucia one! Cute!
My mom bought a LazyBoy Lift chair for her husband. It goes from a reclining to a standing position easily. Her husband loves it as his legs aren't able to support him when he need to stand up. Hope that helps.
I am so delighted to find another Sweed here in the US! My grandparents didn't teach me much about the traditions believing that now that they were here in America they had to be Americans (thats what their parents from Sweden had taught them) It is so wonderful to learn from you! Thanks for the recipe too and if you have any others that you think I might like please pass those along too. We will begin baking this week.
My sister uses a lift chair. She has Cerebral Palsy. We bought it at a medical supply store and as far as I know she uses it and likes it. I say buy the one you like the best. Experience tells me that if you buy the less expensive one just because it costs less but not because it is the one you really want you will not be happy with it.
Our local college (Cal Lutheran) had it's big St. Lucia festival this week too. It is always a fun event to attend and the candles are real. We had our candelabra lit which is always special as it was brought from Sweden to my in-laws by a cousin.
We had a great lift chair for my dad and my FIL. My FIL's was loaded with heat and vibration and he loved it. When he passed away in April we gave it to our church rectory where two retired priests reside. They love it too. We got ours at a medical suppy store.
Post a Comment