Friday, December 19, 2008

Not 9 inches but 12!!

Did we have snow!! I think all the schools in West MI were closed today. I don't think we even got any mail. The last time I checked was 7 pm. We're supposed to get another storm Saturday night. The weather people really got this one right!

Here it was, another day that I should have been working on cards. Instead I made a kettle of Beef Barley Soup and another of Dopp i Grytan. What in the world is that you say?? I think it means Dip in the Kettle in Swedish. My recipe calls for 2 lbs. beef, 2 of pork and 1 lb. of Swedish sausage. The meat is simmered with an onion, water and I also use beef broth. When the meat is tender I add large chopped onion, carrots and potatoes. Today I just went as far as cooking the meat and put the broth and meat in the freezer. I'm not fond of frozen carrots or potatoes so will cook that in the broth when I'm going to use it. It is very tasty with the mix of meats. Baked another batch of cookies too. A neighbor came over twice and blew our driveway today...think Bud deserves a big container of cookies, don't you agree?

After seeing all the snow today it is fun to come downstairs and do my garden work. Every year I vow not to bring in any plants in the fall but how can I let them all freeze? I've got 2 Geraniums, a Hibiscus, Parsley, Rosemary, Basil, Spider Plant, Begonia, Tuberous Begonia and Christmas Cactus. We don't have a water faucet in the basement so have to haul all the water downstairs. This is the 3rd year for these 2 Geraniums. In the summer we expect many blossoms. In the winter just one flower makes my day.

Considering how much I enjoy plants.....we have an artificial tree...horrors!!! I think there is a pine smelling spray that I probably should get....do miss the pine fragrance. Our tree decorating never changes. It is all about memories. If you can see a blue glass pine cone ornament fairly close to the top...that is one of the oldest and is from my home in the 40's. The clips that hold the candles are from Jerry's childhood. He remembers when his Mother would light them. I made the Chrismon's in 1968..except for 2 the choir Jerry directed gave him. There are ornaments from every year we've been married, many made by family and friends. When Jill helped me decorate the tree this year I'm afraid I slowed the process with all my memories. Have to pass that on, don't you think?

2 comments:

Perry said...

Glad that's you getting the snow and not us. I love your tree and all of the ornaments from past years. I have always thought things collected over the years should be on a Christmas tree. It makes it very special. Hope your plants stay well. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Needled Mom said...

That was a lot of snow! I did hear that more is on the way for you this week.

Your tree is lovely. Our tree also has ornaments we have collected over the years. It is so nice to recall them as we place them on the tree each year.

That is a lot of winter gardening to haul the water downstairs, but I am sure that the payoff in spring is worth it.

I didn't get to my cards yesterday either as I had to take my mom to the doctor. Oh well....I refuse to let it stress me out.

Enjoy your weekend.