Thursday, January 29, 2009

Aprons.......new and old.

Recently a friend sent a short essay on the use of aprons through the years. My most recent apron was given to me by my daughter Marcia. She has a new sewing machine and is putting it to good use. Maybe one of these days she will start quilting!! Hint. Hint. The apron is reversible and has a nice pocket on the other side. I really like the birds on this side.

In the 70's it was suddenly OK for men to wear aprons. Everyone was was getting an outdoor grill and the men were doing the grilling so of course they needed an apron to catch those steak and burger splatters. There are some grease spots here. I made quite a few aprons using this fabric.

In the 40's and 50's we didn't only wear aprons to keep our clothes clean but there were occasions to wear fancy ones. This one was worn at Jerry's and my wedding. The girls who helped at the reception each had one like this. I think one of my aunts helped to do the needlework. The color doesn't show too well but the fabric is white and the floss is different shades of lavender.


The last three belonged to my Mother. She always wore an apron. I think she usually had a dozen and wore ones that looked good with the house dress she was wearing. My Mom was a city girl, was a kindergarten teacher and didn't marry my Dad until she was 32 years old and then became a farm wife. Her aprons were not used many of the ways mentioned in the essay. She didn't gather eggs in her apron, or pick apples, or carry in wood for the stove in her apron. And she didn't wave to Dad in the field to let him know that dinner was ready...she used a white dish towel!!



But she did let me hide behind her apron when someone came to the house. I was so shy that I figured if I couldn't see the visitor they couldn't see me either! She could give the dining room table a quick dusting with the under side of the apron if someone unexpected arrived. In those days all clothes, aprons, shirts etc. were starched. I think that starting out the day with a fresh starched apron must have made the women feel good and ready for whatever the day threw at them.

11 comments:

Val said...

Oh this is a beautiful story. The first thing that I made back in Home Ec in school was an apron. I will never forget how proud I was. I have actually been thinking of making some for gifts.

GreggR said...

No "Kiss The Cook", or, for the bakers, "Show Us Your Buns", aprons?

GreggR said...

Oh, and nice post.

Kim said...

I love this story. I finally found a pattern to make an apron that was common waaaay back in the day, lol. It doesn't hang around your neck, I don't care for that tugging feeling that comes from that type of apron. So I am happy now. It looks a bit like the last apron photo you have there.

Anonymous said...

I loved the apron stories. What a great collection of photos and a great story visual of your mother swiping the table with the underside of an apron.
Beth

Phil and Linda said...

Great post mom! I remember Grandma A. with her aprons and you as well! Don't think I knew about the wedding aprons though. I do remember that full apron that I had with ruffles that I think came with that starter Betty Crocker Cookbook that I got as a child.

love ya

Mama Spark said...

What fond memories you just evoked for me! I remember my mom and grandma and aunties all wearing aprons too. My oldest sister thought they were called "apronons" because my mom used to tell us to "put your aprons on!!" LOL I just loved the fancy ones. My mom wore those at the holidays. In fact we made some to sell for our church craft show. We still have some left but I bought one for each of my girls.

Marcia said...

:)
Nice post, Mom! Thanks for the mention of your newest addition to your collection.

Amanda Jean said...

thanks for your comment on my blog today! no, never in my wildest dreams did i think i would have over 900 comments. it was fun to read them all. it was a bright spot in my otherwise hectic and yucky day. :) but please don't bow down to me. i certainly don't deserve it.

i was wondering why some of the aprons were so fancy. i have a few from my grandma's house. some don't look very practical, but your explaination makes perfect sense. thanks for your insight. this is such a great post. :)

Needled Mom said...

And how I love aprons!!!! It is so nice to see them making a comeback and to see some of the great books written about aprons.

I do remember the fancy aprons of the 50s and I have a hard time picturing my grandmother without an apron on herself.

I hope that your daughter will pick up the quilting bug too.

Jenny said...

I love the aprons! I especially love the idea of having the servers wear beautiful matching aprons. They are so lovely.