Last Monday morning Jerry and I boarded the Pere Marquette train and headed for Chicago. We had tried to get the usual coach seats but they were all booked for the Empire Builder, our second leg of the trip to MN, so we booked a Roomette. I'd always wondered what they were like...well, not quite as roomy as I'd hoped. Do you see that blue thing above Jerry's head. That comes down onto the black thing and is the top bunk. Our knees almost touched and the door was a foot from the edge of the seat. Think that if I were going to the top bunk I'd have to get up there with the door open and close it after getting situated!! Nope, don't think I'll do that. The large rooms looked quite nice though and there were family groups in them.
These pictures were taken in the Great Hall at the Chicago Union Station. I can't even imagine how much this building would cost at today's prices. There were not many people waiting in there at noon on Monday. What a change on Thursday afternoon between 4 and 5. It was a mad house with downtown workers and shoppers heading to their suburban trains.
Jerry's sister flew in to Minneapolis from Phoenix and came to Red Wing Monday evening to pick us up at the train station. We only spent 2 days in Cannon Falls. Did a little bit of business and then met some of Jerry's cousins and neighbors of my MIL for long lunches and dinners. It is strange not to have a home port there anymore!! Walking into the grocery store, the bank etc. all felt the same because we'd see so many people we knew but then we had to go back to a motel. Sure do miss Elaine and her wonderful little town.
We had fun spending time with Gail. Lots of talk of old memories and lots of laughs. Even some new laughs. One evening after dinner on our way to the motel Gail said,"anyone for ice cream?" Silly question!! We went to a Dairy Queen near the motel. The place had no customers but the fellows behind the counter greeted us and took our order. We sat down with our Sundae's and talked and ate. We were in no hurry. We were still talking when one of the young fellows turned the outside sign off. Hmmm, maybe it was closing time pretty soon. So we slowly started to amble out to the car. We didn't even get to the car when the place went black. I think we must have walked in 1 minute before 9 and closing time must have been 9. Wonder what those poor young fellows were saying about us...."those old fogeys" probably.

4 comments:
Sounds like you had a great trip. Nosalgic trips are always fun I think. They always bring back great memories. I think that is why we take them; to recapture a bit of our youth or happy occurences. Loved the pictures of the train; remind me of those from Europe 40 years ago.
Looks like you have fun. I remember riding the train when I was little. And yes, by all means, steal the border idea. Run with it.
OH my....you rode the train in the USA and didn't take car!? YOU MUST BE SWEDISH! lol
We LOVE taking the train over night...twice we've been up to Lappland on the overnighter, and once to Germany over night. The Swedish trains are more comfortable, by the way...but the bunk beds are 3 high! Only my hubby goes way up there! I'm too scared! The one to Germany was like being inside a shoe box...and I was pregnant, it was awfully uncomfortable, but I survived!
Your photos of the station are LOVELY...what a grand place!
Good for you eating ice cream "so late" at night!
We took the train from San Francisco to Chicago a few years ago and booked a room. It was so nice having our own place to retreat to as we watched the countryside go by. I must say that the pull down beds are not too comfortable.
Sounds like you had a great time. I can hear the kid at the DQ wondering how long he was going to have to stick around. Too funny.
Post a Comment